Layout

Mar 3, 2016

"What if you write a blog post about... Fish. Or... Pictures."

When I asked my husband what I should write my blog post about this week, this was the response I got:

"What if you write a blog post about.... Fish. Or.... Pictures." 

Ok? Instead of making fun of my dear love, even though it would have been so easy, I decided to just go with it. So, that's what I'm going to write about. I really don't know how he came up with fish. Pictures I could tell he came up with because he started looking around the room. Our home has lots of pictures up. We're not big fans of blank walls. There's always something to look at. 

Anyways, putting the two together, instantly made me think of this lovely thing: 


By the way, I firmly believe that every man cave needs one of those singing fishes. However, I still don't understand what possessed anyone to ever make them.

I'm not sure why, but it makes me think of my grandpa. He loved to sing and was always so obnoxious about it, but now that he's gone, it's one of my favorite things about him. He always sang "Hey Good Lookin'" and said, "I detest, despise, abhor, abominate dried apple pie". I always thought that phrase was like... Some Southern thing. I was a kid, I had no idea. It wasn't until I heard a friend's grandpa say the same thing that I realized it might be some generational thing. Like a song. I just googled it. Apparently it's a poem and it says "I loathe detest...", but in my mind, I'll always hear my grandpa's voice and see him standing in the kitchen dancing.

I also started thinking about a painting my grandma made me. It wasn't fish, it was frogs. Or a frog. It was a very green painting. They gave it to me for Christmas one year after my grandpa got sick and they were starting to struggle financially. It meant a lot to me that she painted it for me, and she really was an unbelievable artist, but I just.... Didn't like it.... Or at least, didn't want to hang it up in my room? It wasn't really my style and didn't match. Which makes me feel horrible to say. And I always have felt bad about that painting, because one time my grandma made a comment about the fact that I hadn't hung it up, so she knew I didn't like it. Which was true... But it still meant a lot to me that she had done it for me. I still feel guilty every time I look at that painting, and I never told my grandma how much it meant to me that she made it for me. But some things you just can't change. And that's life, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment