Layout

Oct 16, 2012

Guess who finally picked a major? This girl!!

So, about a month ago I was looking at my application for the BYU Jerusalem Center, specifically at general requirements. I noticed a very important tidbit of information, which had previously gone unnoticed. 

"Eligibility is limited to matriculated full-time students currently enrolled in a four-year undergraduate program at either BYU, BYU-Idaho, or BYU-Hawaii at the time of application, prior to departure, and during the program"

That was an instant my-world-is-collapsing-eff-what-am-I-going-to-do-with-my-life-moment. The possibility of being able to go suddenly became very real to me, especially since my life plan at that point was to just get my associate's degree, because I really didn't know what else to do. For those of you who don't understand what the above quote means, it basically says that I have to be working towards a bachelor's degree, which I wasn't.

I didn't think too much about it for a couple days, mostly because I just didn't really want to deal with the stress of it. Again. Like I have been for the past two years. Well one night I was sitting at home and decided I wanted to watch a talk from General Conference. I went to lds.org, found Conference, randomly clicked on a session, and randomly clicked on a talk. And, lo and behold, it ended up being just what I needed. Nothing is ever random. It also helps when the talk is on spiritual guidance, but still. (In case you're curious, the talk can be found here. I love that he talks about Mexico City seeing how I'm in Mexico. I feel like that always happens. When I was in Russia, an experience that took place in Russia was talked about in conference. Fun fact side note.)  

In the talk he talks about recording inspiration and asking if you got it all or if there's more, and more will come. So, I started writing in my journal, and thinking (usually two things that are a pretty good combination). I started thinking about all of the things I've wanted to do at some point, the things I want to be a part of my life, the things that interest me, the classes that I've really liked at school, and all the different directions that people saw me going and thought that I would do well in.

My sister and my ILP experiences obviously led me to think about being a teacher, specifically elementary, but something about that just didn't quite feel right. I realized that I could potentially teach older kids... I like the older elementary kids that we teach here a lot... and I thought about my favorite high school teachers. My favorites were always the ones that changed my views on things or opened up my mind to new ideas. They made me realize that I'm a part of something bigger than Corvallis, MT, that we're all a part of a global community. And... all of that stuff.

Most of all, I thought about my Global Insights class, how much I loved it, and how enlightened about the world it made me feel. And then... I thought about political science... and geography.... Options to teach, international options... perfecto! I loved it! I did a little research, asked some people about it... and my major was declared!
Major in Political Science, with an emphasis in Foreign Affairs, and a minor in Geography!
I'm still a little unsure about my minor, and I have to figure out what I have to do to be able to teach, but I've got the overall idea figured out, and I am most definitely satisfied with that for now. It's amazing to me how you can struggle with something so much, for so long, and then all of a sudden it just comes together and something clicks and it's not a hard decision anymore! I'm so grateful for a loving Heavenly Father that helps me make decisions at the right time, and guides me from point in my life to another, so that I can be where I need to be, when He wants me there.

No comments:

Post a Comment