Layout

Feb 23, 2016

"Adventure may hurt you, but monotony will kill you."

            So here’s the thing, I’m going to start by being honest and saying that this blog post is going to be very different than what I originally thought it was going to be, and I’m really happy about the new direction that I was obviously inspired to take it.

            Monotony. The day-to-day grind. Doing the same thing, day in, day out. We’ve all been there. It’s killer. I don’t think I’ve found a single thing that makes me dream of adventures the way monotony does. I’ve come to find that adventure takes on two different meanings for me, depending on the context of what I’m saying. Two. No more. No less.


Adventure- n. Something grand and exciting that happens; a story that’s one for the books- you know it will be one of your (obviously many) go-to “look at how awesome I am and be jealous” party stores; when it happens, if you stop for even half a second to appreciate the moment you’re living, you can’t help but think, “wow. This is my life. I can’t believe I’m doing this.”


Adventure- n. A small moment, not always noteworthy, but light-hearted and fun in the middle of a crazy, busy, and stressful (read: normal) life.



            I’m going to make a generalization here, and say that many people like to dream about the first definition. However, I’m come to learn that while those adventures are very close to my heart, and always amazing experiences, it’s the second definition that keeps monotony from killing you. Those are the adventures that may hurt in some way- your health, your grades, whatever it may be- but they’re also the ones that make you smile when you look back on them. They’re the ones that make life interesting. Here are a few of mine.... I hope they inspire you to make your own. Also, as I started looking through pictures, I found a lot more than I meant to. So.... #sorrynotsorry

 Sometimes your adventure is throwing a watermelon out your 8-story window....
 ... Or taking a picture laying in the middle of the road...
 ... Buying a 10 gallon bag of popcorn.... 
 ... Dancing in the rain in the middle of a parking lot....
 .... A bunch of Mexican kid ganging up on you while arm wrestling....
 .... Doing homework like this....
 .... Having a junk food Lord of the Rings marathon for your birthday....
 .... Coming to a stalemate with Poli-Sci majors in a match of Lord of the Rings Risk....
 ... Sitting on Joseph Smith's floor and taking a picture even though you're not supposed to....
 .... Chalk drawings. I won't say where. 
 Sometimes your daily adventure is a paint fight with friends...
 .... Finding the giant "cans of Coke" in Idaho....
 .... Supermanning in Glacier National Park....
 .... Experiencing gravity is an unnatural way....
 .... Randomly stopping to pick huckleberries with your dad....
 ... Getting caught in a rain storm trying to go to your first BYU game....
 ... Putting your niece in a conveniently-placed, totally stable bowl on the counter....

 .... Or facing a fear and acting like a child, all in one night.
 Sometimes your adventure is the most exhausting 24 hours of your life. Questival. If you don't understand, you need to learn. 
 Sometimes your daily adventure is a week of creating something truly special with truly special people. #dreamteam #dreamathoningforlife
 Sometimes adventure is playing in an Old West- themed shooting range....
 .... Or developing a love/hate relationship with some teenagers....
 .... Driving a 1928 bus.....
 .... Jumping in freezing cold mountain water. In August....
 ..... Teaching a friend how to properly road trip....
 .... Laying upside down on the Y, because peer pressure....
 ..... Eating a "Weird Food of the Week" that only happened one week....
 .... Painting a new friend's face....
 .... Watching the lunar eclipse at 3 a.m.....
 .... Taking desperate measures to get a real Christmas tree in your apartment....
 .... Playing wheelchair basketball....
 .... Going on a road trip to Canada with your two best friends. Just for breakfast.
 .... Falling in love with your best friend....
.... Or creating unforgettable memories. 

Whatever your adventure may be, go find it. Don't let monotony kill you. And don't think that your adventure has to be something big and grand, just do something silly and enjoy the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment